Abbey church

Abbey church

The original plan of the « benedictine » type church was that of great Romanesque churches in Normandy in the 11th century. In its original form the front may have included two towers like the church of Trinity of Caen built at the same time.

Built for the single use of the nuns of the abbey the church is going to be transformed to establish in the nave the parochial church of Saint Sauveur in 1250.

But in the 15th century, the nave is not any more enough for welcoming a growing population, it is necessary to double the surface. The south tower and the left-hand side of the nave are brought down to build an extension in Flamboyant Gothic style. The perfect symmetry is profoundly modified.
The main door of the church also testifies of the evolution of the Norman sculptural art: geometrical decorations of the 12th century and large gothic window opened in the 14th century.
Not to be missed the circular arch, which opened onto the south apsidiole, with anecdotic scenes or stylized animals and the finely carved triangular loft.
Always used for worship the church is classified as “Historic Monument” since 1862.

Open every day 9:00 am – 6:00 pm
Horaire des messes : jeudi et dimanche matin de 10 h à 12 h

Se rendre à l’Eglise abbatiale
Place François Mitterrand
76290 Montivilliers
Voir sur Google Maps